Psychiatrists focus on treating issues with mental health through medication. However, medication is not the only psychiatric treatment in saint johns, mi. Psychiatrists use several treatments methods to help their patients. Let us have a look at those treatment in this article.
All mental health professionals have to refer to the DSM and its established criterion for various mental health conditions.
Psychiatrists strive to strike a relationship between the physical symptoms to the mental state of the patient. Along with the patient’s own symptoms, they also delve into their background and genealogy. Evaluation of psychological, historical, and physical data helps psychiatrists come to a conclusion regarding the patient’s diagnosis.
Instead of solving issues externally through mental perseverance, psychiatrists treat issues internally through medication. The major aspect of psychiatric study involves changing the patient’s brain chemistry to rid them of the physical symptoms they experience due to their condition.
Some of the commonly used psychiatric treatment methods include medication, electroconvulsive therapy, and psychotherapy.
Psychiatrists’ medical treatment is based on a hit-and-trial method. A psychiatrist prescribes medication to their patient and monitors the differences in their brain chemistry and physical as well as emotional symptoms.
Below are some medication categories psychiatrists prescribe for various ailments.
· Antidepressants treat obsessive-compulsive disorders, eating disorders, borderline personality disorders, PTSD, anxiety, and depression.
· Anxiolytics treat anxiety disorders along with obsessive-compulsive disorders.
· Antipsychotics treat conditions categorized by psychosis, illusions, and delusions. Such conditions include bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorders.
· Mood stabilizers are generally used to treat bipolar disorder.
· Stimulants are used to treat attention disorders such as ADD and ADHD
Psychiatry is the field of mental health that aims at changing the patient’s brain chemistry to provide quick relief. As long as the patient is patient with their medication and takes them regularly, psychiatry is proven to relieve some of the most difficult mental health conditions.